Aug 10 , 2018
Running provides increased vitality and improved concentration, health and well being. It also develops more energy and assists the ability to cope with the requirements of everyday life.
It may help to overcome depression, stabilise the appetite, control weight.
A run before breakfast is a good tune up for the working day and after work it clears the cobwebs of fatigue from the mind and body.
Physical fitness has a resistance effect against extreme anxiety or emotional stress, with a tranquiliser effect. For physical activity and Coronary Heart Disease, there are many large scale statistical surveys to evaluate the evidence of C.H.D. between sedentary and active people. One comparison include clerks and salesmen (the latter walking the rounds or from his car). Also a study of 1000 men and women in an Israeli Kibbutz and 300 men at the Aerobics Centre in Dallas showed the level of physical fitness can reduce significantly the coronary risk factor.
- Exercise and Coronary Circulation In most cases it produces- a slower heart rate in the athlete at rest and under a given work load shows improved myocardial circulation in related to physical fitness.
- Exercise on Blood Pressure - In a San Diego fitness program (Boyer & Kasch) found that with 6 months participation systolic and diastolic pressure reduced significantly (12 mm Hg) in 23 hypersensitive men. Many tests show this reduction in blood pressure related to fitness irrespective of age.
- Exercise Effects on Bones, Joints, Connective Tissue - Disuse can lead to atrophy, arthritis, overweight and eventually osteoporosis, mostly in women. Reports have shown walking or light jogging can improve bone density in women. Experiments show ligament strength, and collagen content are significantly greater in sportsmen and sportswomen. It is recommended for the joints to jog on grass or a track, off the footpath at least once a week.
- Exercise and Resistance To Disease - Very little statistical evidence is available. However experiments have shown an increase in blood conditioning which is advantageous in prevention of illness) with increased optimal exercise. Excessive exercise can also cause a decrease in resistance. So the exercise needs to be balanced with recovery time and sleep.
- Exercise and Weight Loss - Vigorous exercise improves the metabolism and longer lasting (6-8 hour) rise in resting metabolism leading to weight loss. Water retention due to increased anti-diuretic hormones may obscure for 3 weeks the true fat tissue loss occurring.
- Exercise and Relaxation - Electronic measurement (electromyography) E.M.G. of the skeletal muscle activity in numerous experiments shows a decrease in nervousness and controlled emotions when subjected to stressful situations. Also a decrease in such clinical states as headache, backache, mental activity. Psychiatric experiments conducted at the University of Virginia showed a significant improvement in various depressive disorders after 10 weeks of easy jogging. Easy running could well be considered a natural tranquiliser, that lowers blood pressure and subsequent stress.
Therapeutic Exercise Includes- Walking, Jogging, Running, Biking, Swimming, Gym.
- Exercise should be a gradual progression from low levels to higher levels of energy expenditure. Always start slowly to warm up the muscles and condition the heart muscle. It has been well proven that vigorous exercise like squash or hard running and biking without a warm up, can cause a heart attack or S.D. (Sudden Death) Syndrome.
- Prevent injury to bony parts or connective tissue by wearing well cushioned flexible shoes when running, or walking etc.
- If possible balance terrain, some on the road for stability, some on the grass for less shock to the joints.
- Arthur Lydiard the great N.Z. coach always maintained intensity and duration should be spread out, lasting at least 40 minutes minimum, three times a week more intensity can improve fitness.
- On the flat or over the hills? Exercise on the flat does help prevent injury, but to challenge and raise the fitness more effort can be applied. Exercise over hills can lead to Achilles tendon or calf problems going uphill, and knee problems going downhill. Generally it's safer injury wise to run on the flat or gently undulating areas. If you are not doing a marathon requiring strength. It's better to avoid steep hill running.